Monday 7 May 2012

Low-Key with Jack Howell

Seeing as I have finally got a working, none broken, strobist set-up now, one of the first things I wanted to do was a low-key portrait shoot. I've been wanting to do this ever since I saw Rick Nunn's 'How I Shoot' Article and finally I got my self a model and went and shot him in the face.


Me, Jack and Cubby headed down to Soldiers Field at around 8:30pm just as it was getting dark to do this because it's the widest open space I know so there was no chance of accidentally getting some trees and such in the background. After getting the camera exposed so there was no light coming in, I set up the flash and after diving to safe it from falling and smashing, we got on with taking some pictures. 


Here is the rough set-up diagram of what was going on, obviously in some the flash was on the other side/directly in front but you get the idea from this. 
I'm glad Cubby came along; firstly he helped by holding the flash and saving it from death by wind a few time and secondly because he reminded me that I should try some other styles of pictures instead of just shooting them all like the 3 above. So I shot some full face closer up ones and a couple portrait. 
So that's pretty much it really, this shoot I feel will be one of the most important to me because it's the first time I've been taking pictures of someone I don't know (haven't seen in 6 years) and it's really taught me a lot about communicating and all of that sort of stuff. As always, if you'd like to ask anything/give any feedback on the picture, this article or the blog in general please comment or check out my Flickr and comment on there! Thanks for reading. 


Follow Jack Howell and Me on Twitter too if you like! 

Please go give my Flickr a quick browse and comment with any questions or advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment